[ overboard / sfw / alt / cytube] [ leftypol / b / WRK / hobby / tech / edu / ent / 777 / posad / i / R9K / dead ] [ meta ]

/tech/ - Technology

"Technology reveals the active relation of man to nature"
Name
Email
Subject
Comment
Flag
File
Embed
Password (For file deletion.)

Matrix

Pleroma

Mumble

Discord

IRC

Text Boards



File: 1608525826111.png (11.63 KB, 265x314, Tux.png)

 No.51[Last 50 Posts]

Why aren't you using Linux? If you are, good job. If not, you better start soon.

>Open source vs. Free Software

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

>List of free as in freedom distros approved by the FSF

https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html

>A really good linux distro that doesn't have systemd, but a fast and simple init/service management system called runit

https://voidlinux.org/


-
Image credit:
By [email protected] Larry Ewing and The GIMP, Attribution, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=80930
>>

 No.52

i use linux on my pphone
>>

 No.53

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>

 No.54

File: 1608525826363.jpg (50.72 KB, 556x346, 154732683644.jpg)

Yeah, I used to be afraid of linux, but, after the switch I am literally never going back.
That being said, Debian is the least secure of all of them. Ubutnu has had compromises in the source code that have resulted in people being tracked by amazon and the like.
Makes you dink, learn how to compile and install gentoo.
>>

 No.55

>>54
While I think that gentoo is indeed the best distribution for nearly every purpose, I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody who doesn’t want to invest to much time in their computer.
Then again, because I always wanted to do so, I have no idea what that distribution would be.
>>

 No.56

File: 1608525826521.gif (7.53 KB, 500x490, f0e1cb363075d36d08c45eefb8….gif)

>>55
Yeah, but, that's kinda of the thing. If you are worried about security then usability comes at a cost. Energy follows the path of least resistance.
That's why every fag and their mother uses god damn windows. Cause they are lazy as fuck.
Well, that and a massive propaganda campaign in the 90's for windows and against linux.
>>

 No.57

File: 1608525826676.mp4 (6.33 MB, 1280x720, gnyu linyux.mp4)

>>

 No.58

Mint Linux gang
>>

 No.59

>Why Open Source misses the point
More like "Why Free Software misses the point" (of the capitalist superstructure)
"Free Software" and "Open Source Software" are the same in all, but name, enjoy your Linux "Free Software", backed by your corporate overlords
>>

 No.60

File: 1608525827036-0.png (10.11 KB, 653x367, ms_loves_linux.png)

File: 1608525827036-1.jpg (9.02 KB, 255x251, but_who_could_be_this_pork….jpg)

>The Linux Foundation
>The GNOME Foundation
>The Mozilla Foundation
But who could be behind this "Free" software? Gotta love your freedumbs, hippies.
>>

 No.61

>>60
>>59
Oh god who let the geento fag in here.
>>

 No.62

>>61
Way to miss my point with some irrelevant community of masturbating monkeys
Are you enjoying your "grassroot", "organic" Linux distribution?
Gotta love all of thoses Red Hat, Canonical, Google, Intel, Novell, etc. "Free as in speech" developpers
>>

 No.63

Oh right, you can just fork it!
Just like you can just start your own communist cooperative!
Just fork the means of production bro, just like, copy it bro… forget about the real economy bro… just be free bro…
>>

 No.64

>>62
>>63
Bro, I am just trying to use something that doesn't cost 150 dollars to install. Right now, that be linux mint.
>>

 No.65

>>63
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Off you go lad, have fun
>>

 No.66

>>64
>150 dollars to install
Just pirate windows lmao, stop being a moralfag.
>>

 No.67

>>54
>Debian is the least secure of all of them
Why? They have a whole team working on security, often patching software before the upstream. It's the only distro to provide official .onion repos as well, so can securely anonymize what OS you're using.
>>

 No.68

>>56
But Linux is the ultimate lazy way. When I have to do something on Windows I can't believe so many people put up with that shit.
>>

 No.69

>>60
They integrate what they can't exterminate.
Or rather it's way more profitable since it's basically free labour for them.
>>

 No.70

>>68
Yeah but setting up anything on Linux takes time and understanding.
>>

 No.71

>>70
You can install something like Mint for grandma and she will find it easier to use than Windows. Those with specific requirements had to learn how to do shit on Windows at one point as well, they just don't want to get even momentarily out of their comfort zone. It's like with politics, people prefer the predictable shittiness of status quo over trying something different.
>>

 No.72

I can't afford to make a backup.
>>

 No.73

>>69
Micro$oft is one of many Linux developers , and they are bound to the GNU license, they can implement Linux into windows , but they can not 'own' Linux itself.

They don't have and they can never have a monopoly on Linux.
>>

 No.74

>>73
1. Microsoft and other corps are buying seats at the Linux Foundation board and can now effectively steer where the GNU/Linux world is going by deciding which projects to fund
2. They use GNU/Linux software developed and maintained by free software developers in their products and services which they profit from without paying anyone a dime, other than sponsoring various shit to promote the idea that they're the good guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHcdgrqbHE

Free software was a great thing when it was a genuine community of developers that collaboratively wrote tools for themselves and each other. But now it's being integrated and exploited by the corporate world because it's free labour. Not to mention that even before that the "Open Source" """movement""" and startup/entrepreneurial culture already replaced free software movement to a large extent and made most devs (including Torvalds) spooked about the GPL and its mission.
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-meme-hustler

Don't be a naive fanboy and realize things are going slowly to shit.
>>

 No.75

>>74
So we should move too FOSS is what you are saying?
>>

 No.76

>>75
I'm saying free software culture itself is now being increasingly incorporated and exploited by tech capital.
Of course we should resist this as much as possible, although I'm pessimistic because most of software developers have been brainwashed by neoliberalism and now see things like GPL as too "extremist" and "restrictive". Most of them now dream of becoming successful entrepreneurs with a profitable startup that is going to be bought out by one of the big tech corps. That's how cucked they are. This change of attitude is one thing, the other is the sheer financial power of corps who can now essentially decide which free software projects get to be worked on and in which direction they ought to go. Then there's also the commodification of the community itself, gatherings being transformed into TED talks and sales pitches with expensive entry fees.
>>

 No.77

>>76
So what can we do? That's a a pretty depressing picture you just painted for me.
>>

 No.78

>>77
Honestly, I don't really know.
It seems to me that users of free software are now actually more critical than the developers. I think it's because they use free software precisely to avoid big tech as consumers, whereas developers are creators and are thus more susceptible to seeing themselves as potential entrepreneurs that can become rich.
You can see that with Linux distros. Ubuntu's popularity has actually decreased as it became more corporate, people were really pissed when Canonical partnered up with Amazon to essentially sell your searches. On the other hand the trend of providing software through "app stores" has also reached the Linux world, but I don't know how many people are actually using this.
I still think that for a user free software is a good thing, it's just not that radically different anymore.
>>

 No.79

>>77
install guix
>>

 No.80

>>76
GPL is liberal
>>78
"Linux" was a corporate project from it's inception.
>>

 No.81

>>79
Maybe after they apologize to Stallman.
>>

 No.82

>>80
It *was* but torvald opened and freed it and that's why GNU/linux work in conjunction to this day.

Understanding the difference between free and open source is important here.
>>

 No.83

File: 1608525828598.jpeg (160.56 KB, 1280x853, freedumbs.jpeg)

>>82
You're so high on ideology, so just like the other dense motherfuckers from earlier, I'm not sure you're salvageable.

"Free Software" comes from 60's pseudo-socialist hippie movements, which either amounted to nothing or were taken over by:
"Open Source", which is the same thing, but accommodated to it's natural corporate setting.
Linux (from the 90's) was always a corporate project, because it was funded and developped as such from it's inception. Linux "desktop" advocates are delusional, since it was never meant to be.

The only relevant part of the GNU project, it's toolchain, was completely taken over by Red-Hat (now IBM).
The rest, like GNOME, Mozilla (Google), KDE, X.org or whatever else have been funded by corporate consortiums for decades.

The "free" software "movement" amounted to nothing, because it was not radical, it didn't take into account the fundamentaly industrial base of capitalist production.
Now, where is your "free" hardware? Nowhere to be seen, because guess what, actual proles, working on the assembly line, are not hippies, who like to pretend to work for free.
From "seizing the means of production" to "building your own means of production", there is only one step, the one of capitalist reproduction.
Read Marx instead of listening to liberals like Stallman (try to read his political blog, you'll see his true face), or you will simply waste your life making history repeat itself.
>>

 No.84

>>83
>"Free Software" comes from 60's pseudo-socialist hippie movements
And you know what you are talking about here since you know a lot about these movements from all the Hollywood dreck you have watched. Thank God Hollywood exists outside of capitalism.
>Linux (from the 90's) was always a corporate project, because it was funded and developped as such from it's inception.
Everybody who is a proper materialist like you knows that it's the original intention of somebody that ultimately causes everything. For example, if I give you something that is not poisonous, but it was my intent to poison you, you will die from that.
>Linux "desktop" advocates are delusional, since it was never meant to be.
You heard him. Linux as a working desktop OS will remain a pipedream forever.
>>

 No.85

>>80
>>82
>>83
Linux was Torvald's university project.
>>

 No.86

File: 1608525828802.png (85.94 KB, 211x244, 4109f8f1a59a8caa028bc470f8….png)

>>83
Lol, The freesoftware porject being "Dead" has nothing to do with Freesoftware being important and a controversial topic and has effected the discourse heavily. Thank Stalman for the fact that companies cant create proprietary forks of source code, dweeb. Plus, none of what you said nullifies the actual arguments of people like Stalman nore does it change the fact that there is plenty of free software available today to use; install GNU faggot.
>>

 No.87

>>84
>>85
>original intention
Torvald's original intention was a toy project for his doctorate, but early on, Torvalds was employed by the predecessor of current Linux foundation to continue working on it.
>Linux as a working desktop OS will remain a pipedream forever
Linux IS a working desktop OS, just like thousands of other toy OS, but is only relevant for what it was designed for, it's corporate setting.
>>86
>companies cant create proprietary forks of source code
And they still employ wage laborers to work with it and make a profit on top of it, your point?
>actual arguments of people like Stalman
Tell me about it, some empty rethorics about "freedom" maybe?
>there is plenty of free software available today to use
Incredible, maybe one day the ones writing thoses softwares will be liberated from wage-slavery, we might even call it "socialism", too bad it only exists in your own imagination.
>>

 No.88

>>87
>And they still employ wage laborers to work with it and make a profit on top of it, your point?

You live under capitalism and yet you participate in it. CURIOUS

>Tell me about it, some empty rethorics about "freedom" maybe?


More ad-hominems from the retard.

>Incredible, maybe one day the ones writing thoses softwares will be liberated from wage-slavery, we might even call it "socialism", too bad it only exists in your own imagination.


Any attempt to make things better until this point is bad. t. Sprudo.
>>

 No.89

>>88
>You live under capitalism and yet you participate in it.
It's called lifestylism, and it's the petty-bourg type favorite pastime.
You might use Linux because you fooled yourself into thinking it was somehow superior, but don't come saying this is somehow revolutionary praxis.
>Any attempt to make things better until this point is bad
And how is the working class any better? Most of them don't even know what "Linux" is, simply because it's irrelevant to them.
>>

 No.90

>>87
>is only relevant for what it was designed for, it's corporate setting.
Once again, but without sarcasm: You believe intentions of actors are strong causal factors. That makes you an idealist. How do you even measure relevance in that context? And relevance for whom? Do you even think about what you have been typing here? Free software is relevant to me, as I'm using Linux right now. Do you perhaps think it has low relevance by some measure using money-sum aggregates? Such a measure of relevance would fit well with the rest of your faux radical wankposting. Things friends do for each other also look bad by that measure, power of friendship BTFO I guess, how will power of friendship ever recover.
>empty rethorics about "freedom"
Last year, Adobe cancelled access to Photoshop etc. in Venezuela: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49973337 Didn't matter one bit whether one was pro-Maduro or in the opposition, it was cancelled for everybody living there.
>>89
>And how is the working class any better?
Guess how those people in Venezuela have been affected who have been using GIMP for ages instead of Photoshop? Inb4
>Venezuela isn't workers' paradise so none of this matters
>>

 No.91

>>90
I'm all for using GNU/Linux, I myself refuse to use anything else, but he's right that currently it's kinda lifestylism and ethical consumerism instead of being a political movement with an ambition to changes the rest of society. I have contributed code to the projects that I use, and that's nice and all, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't change the fact that the free software world has been invaded by corporate interests and I could be indirectly helping them with my contributions.
All in all, I encourage others to use GNU/Linux but there's a serious need for a critique of where we're going as a community, and I don't see that critique a lot.
>>

 No.92

>>91
I do it to protect my anonymity, man.
>>

 No.93

>>92
Bourgeois value
>>

 No.94

>>93
>Le spooks.
>>

 No.95

>>94
Stirner was debunked by Marx.
>>

 No.96

>>95
>Thinking stirner and marx cannot compliment eachother and that some how keeping my self safe on a public space that was not designed for anonymity is some how "bourgeois values"

If that is the case i'll be taking your SS number, ID Number and Copy of your birth certificate, please. Fucking dumb ass larpers. Fuck off back to reddit, LOL.
>>

 No.97

>>95
There's a reason that was only posthumously published.
>>

 No.98

>The Free Software 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The Electronic Frontier 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The Document 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The X.Org 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The Software in the Public Interest 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The Freedesktop 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The Linux 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The FreeBSD 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The GNOME 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The Wikimedia 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The Xiph.Org 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The Perl 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
>The Mozilla 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸Foundation🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
All of them incorporated either in New York or San Francisco, I'm starting to see a pattern here…
>>

 No.99

Behold.. the Californian ideology brought to its natural conclusion:
http://quotes.cat-v.org/economics
http://quotes.cat-v.org/politics
>>

 No.100

So I am curious actually I never actually used linux but seeing some discussion in this thread, microsoft and other tech giants bought seats in the linux foundation. So what are we seeing is more corporate distos of linux or what had already happen fismantlingnehat made linux, linux and having everything incorporated into windows?
Shouldnt we be fighting against more corporate control and centeralization?
>>

 No.101

>>100
You didn't read.
Linux was always corporate, Microsoft choosing to embrace it is merely a recent phenomenon.
>fighting against more corporate control
Yes, I suppose you should just vote with your wallet.
>>

 No.102

>>100
It just means that they won't be sued for GPL violation.
>>

 No.103

File: 1608525829929-0.png (3.2 KB, 90x20, pureos.png)

File: 1608525829929-1.png (6.56 KB, 200x215, 200px-Qubes_OS_Logo.svg.png)

File: 1608525829929-2.png (18.49 KB, 585x215, Whonix_Logo.png)

Some GNU/Linux distros simply work, are secure and provide anonymity. This is what revolutionaries need.
>>

 No.104

>>103
Seconding this.
>>

 No.105

>>103
Last time I tried to instal qubes it went fucking crazy; Don't know if it is stable yet
>>

 No.106

I love Free® Software™!
>>

 No.107

>>103
You forgot Tails.
>>

 No.108

>>106
lmao the fuck are you whining about? Feel free to use your proprietary datamining OSes all you want. Doesn't mean I or other security-aware socialists will.
>>

 No.109

>>55
Guix has nearly all the upsides of gentoo for 1/10th the time investment
>>

 No.110

>>60
>the Free Software Foundation
OH NO
>>

 No.111

>>77
The answer was to have licensed everything as AGPL3 from the beginning.

Corporations make a profit off of free software because they use it to host all their proprietary webservices.

Of course, the only way to fix it now is to go back into the past, which is impossible. Now the BSDs are around and a rich legacy of GNU software under an attractive license exists, any extreme licensing change would prompt an enormous backlash from all the companies who make most of the contributions (in the case of the linux kernel, a license change would be literally impossible). They would immediately fork any project that attempted to change the license and you would be left in the dust lacking most of your former developer power.
>>

 No.112

>>83
>Now, where is your "free" hardware? Nowhere to be seen, because guess what, actual proles, working on the assembly line, are not hippies, who like to pretend to work for free.
Do you actually believe the "free" in "free software" is referring to "zero cost"?
>>

 No.113

>>89
>>93
I hope you get V& by the government because you insisted on using Windows to lord it over the "lifestylist" linux users.
>>

 No.114

>>110
"Foundation" means funded by porkies, retard.
>>

 No.115

File: 1608525830791.webm (216.39 KB, 1920x1080, suckers.webm)

They're born every minute.
>>

 No.116

File: 1608525831086.jpg (87.7 KB, 950x713, Linux--gry-_bc5625.jpg)

>>112
>Do you actually believe the "free" in "free software" is referring to "zero cost"?
This is why the word free software needs to be abandoned and replaced with the use of the word libre software RMS is not going to single handedly rewrite the English language.

with this out of the way.
>>83
>>60
This is my first time posting here and after reading the garbage you have written someone needs to put you into your place.

Unless you are a Utopian pipe dream anarchists this is how life works tell me how in your utopia will software be developed? Is everyone going to write their own OS from zero?

unless this is your argument there will always be organizations who control or have over represented power in the development of some software.

Yes GNU/free software movement/whatever people are delusional if they seriously believe their own propaganda about some grounds up organic movement fairy tail.

If the USSR existed today and was making GPL software the polit biuro would decide what exactly is written and give the money. And there is nothing wrong with this! Because unless you are a Utopian anarchists you realize organizations will always assemble themselves and some organizations will have more power then others. And individualistic crap like Utopian anarchism will never exist because organizations are more effective then individuals. This is simply how reality works.

The point of the GPL is that EVERYONE can fork the code and make his own distro.
THIS IS THE POINT!

Not that some corporation contribute code. Because everyone can fork this code and remove all the bad things the corporation placed there (like spyware).

You try to do this with proprietary software. The point is that even small organizations can fork the code.

For example Linux mint is literally Ubuntu minus amazon spyware.

So what is your argument? That walking 1KM is terrible because it takes a lot of time so everyone should walk 50KM ??? You try to legally remove the bad things from windows 10 (unremovable spyware named cortana) and contrast how easy it is to remove spyware form GPL OS like Ubuntu. Yes it takes a team to do it only people can do it and Canonical can go suck a dick because once the code is GPL it is GPL FOREVER! Meaning they can not come back and demand their code back we keep all the good driver software and remove the spyware, canonical can enjoy its dwindling markershere and profits.

The same happened with Open Office.org Oracle did think it can take GPL code make their own thing and introduce crapware, people did say no forked the code and made Libre office now Libre office dominates and Open Office.org is a marginal thing if not abandoned.

EVERY HUMAN has the code Oracle made FOREVER! Oracle can not demand their code back! This is the idea of the GPL.

WE Have the code and Oracle lost time and money writing the code for Open Office.org how can you paint this as a bad thing?

This is the ENTIRE IDEA OF THE GPL!
See the 1KM VS 50KM example. Its far easier to fork the code and remove the bad parts then to write the code from ZERO!

This is a eternal battle however its great, all you need to remember is to keep up to date and switch to the new good fork of this software. It's not like its la-la land forever once we have the GPL.

The GPL is a tool to fight corporate tyranie.

>>76
>commodification
What a retarded meme, why should I care about that. I have the Oracle code and Oracle lost man hours and money developing it with no return.

>>60
&ltMicrosoft using GPL code bad.

There is a reason Ballmer called linux a cancer and libre GPL the greatest threat of all times.
Because you seam not to understand this goes both ways. Lets take browsers for example 99% of all browsers in use are GPL. The main ones are Chromium and FireFox or forks of one of these 2.

THIS IS A GOOD THING.

Because while other proprietary browsers try to exists they can not. Most of the time developing new code for a browser takes time so its a waist of money to develop a new browser from ZERO since you can not use GPl code even once. Then to simply fork a existing GPL browser.

This is why I doubt proprietary browsers will ever come back. Sure you can make one from ZERO or from age old code like Internet Explorer however it requires shit loads of money.

The same happening to OSs is also a good thing.
I mean even Edge from Microsoft uses chromium code and there is Linux code in windows now.

You can bitch and moan about exploration of free laubour however the truth is that everyone can take this code and use it while proprietary code can not be used. This is far better for everyone then proprietary code that NO ONE use (excluding getting super special permissions from the owners) And all modifications of the GPL code MUST be licensed under the GPL themselves. This is not BSD where a corporation can just take code and not give back the modifications.

Everyone can disagree with the pro-capitalist notion of the GPL or that GPL only makes sense in a society where computer code is under copyright. However this is the world we live in and the GPL makes things better for everyone.

How will software development look in your utopia? No seriously answer this.

I see this like this after the revolution in a USSR like state government combines will be tasked with developing software (there is no way around this organization)
The code will be GPL or what will in essence be GPL under these conditions, everyone can take the code and do with it whatever he wants.

&ltMuh Linux code not secure
What retardation let me tell you something NO CODE is secure. Not one OS follows real safety procedures and for all intense and purposes every program gets admin privileges to run and can seriously harm you.

This is not a problem.
Anything connected to the internet can be considered infected. Look air gaping.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gap_(networking)

Every software is crap and insecure, want to prevent this? Get a offline computer and think 10 times before plugging anything into your offline computer.

Every code proprietary and libre has exploits. Grow up. Want to see something really frightening? If you know anything about electrical devices you realize that anyone can shut down the entire power in 1 building by plunging in a specially configured peace of electrical device. Any electrical socket and all fuses will be shut down. Think 10 times before plugging anything into your offline computer.

The funny part is that it takes literal minutes to modify any electrical appliance to shut down all fuses.
>>

 No.117

>>116
lmao at your 1000 words strawman, freetards truly are a lost bunch
>>

 No.328

>>117
Not him but
>writing 1000word hilariously long masters degree rant about how GPL rules
>writing "u stoopid haha"

In comparison, >>116 looks better.
>>

 No.341

>>114
Get out Das Kapital and tell me where Karl Marx said a nonprofit funded by donations is exploiting my wage labor.
>>

 No.342

>>117
>>>/pol/
>>

 No.356

File: 1608525852924.jpg (114.97 KB, 1080x883, e9f7573d4e96a6637233a085d7….jpg)

>>117
Imagine shilling for proprietary spyware.
>>

 No.357

>>356
He'll be consoomed by the botnet
>>

 No.396

>>54
what about the lack of videogames tho?
>>

 No.400

File: 1608525857550.jpg (26.08 KB, 500x375, 1a5.jpg)

TECH COMRADES I NEED HELP

I'm trying to install a linux distro (slackel) to be able to boot to a USB thumbstick right now.
I'm computer literate, but I don't know anything about command lines and stuff.

How do I install it to the thumbstick from Windows 10 (current OS)?

I tried using the program 'rufus' that came with the ISO, but that didn't work. I don't know why.

Please help and 'Don't laugh' (pls).
>>

 No.401

>>400
>I tried using the program 'rufus' that came with the ISO, but that didn't work. I don't know why.
Screentshot us the settings you tried to use with rufus comrade
>>

 No.402

File: 1608525857725.png (15.3 KB, 418x538, Ceeeeeeeeeeapture.PNG)

>>401
This is what it looks like but even when it says the operation is complete I still can't boot from the USB itself.
>>

 No.403

>>402
If you're computer is a newer one you might need to deliberately select the EFI option for Target System
>>

 No.404

>>403
I think i've got it working now, but what does 'MBR' and 'GPT' mean in the 'Partition Scheme' drop-down?
>>

 No.410

>>400
Same anon, back again.

I got it working (I think) except for internet access.

I've got an wired ethernet connection but I can't figure out how to connect to it.

I don't know how to do command line stuff and I can't post images here (using Windows to access the internet).

Any help is appreciated.
>>

 No.416

>>410
Wait, you can't figure out how to connect with a wired ethernet cable? It should just work with a wired connection. Is this your first linux distro? Bad choice for a first distro.

You may need to update: Pull up the terminal and type: sudo apt-get update

Let the package list update

Then do sudo apt-get upgrade
>>

 No.420

>>

 No.517

> mfw installing Arch after just sticking with Ubuntu for years
>>

 No.518

File: 1608525867850.jpeg (99.22 KB, 1024x576, brainlet support group.jpeg)

>>517
Is this your face?
>>

 No.519

>>518
Pretty much
>>

 No.520

>>518
I am not ashamed to admit I am a brainlet.
I tried to install arch after using Debain for years and years and just couldn't move that mountain.
>>

 No.521

>>520
It's pretty easy to install it if you read the manual and know what you're doing. The first times i tried i failed because i wasn't reading the manual very well, but now i can install it with a little help from the manual, although i don't use it anymore.
>>

 No.523

>>520
There are unofficial installers for it. I'm a fan of https://www.anarchylinux.org/
>>

 No.545

>>520
Don't worry, just like any communist grows out of ML-ism, eventually arch users grow up and return to Debian.
>>

 No.547

>>545
*Devuan
>>

 No.548

>>545
*Solus
>>

 No.582

Never use a distro that uses systemd as its init system. It's buggy and a security vulnerability, also it is completely controlled by a corporation.
>>

 No.583

>>545
what tendency hates ML and also hates people being allowed to pick their favorite distro
>>

 No.584

File: 1608525873965.jpeg (54.38 KB, 620x350, alpine.jpeg)

using Alpine Linux rn, set it up yesterday. very small and light, good for my shitty Intel Celeron from 2012 and four gigs of RAM. also apparently very secure. no systemd, it uses openrc which is tight as fuck. I also installed dwm, dmenu, and st (for that anal-retentive aesthetic).

(buggy udhcpc though. pain in the ass setting up yesterday.)
>>

 No.585

>>582
anti-systemd people are so boring

show me what part of the source makes systemdick have such security vulnerabilities
>>

 No.588

File: 1608525874500.gif (3.99 MB, 426x284, systemd.gif)

>>585
t. Lennart
>>

 No.592

>>

 No.597

>>

 No.598

because i use BSD
>>

 No.607

>>585
the fact that it's ten times the size of any other init system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_surface
>>

 No.608

>>598
>Berkeley Succdem Distribution
>>

 No.614

File: 1608525876879.jpg (813.68 KB, 1070x1600, bsd.jpg)

>>608
Move aside, prole.

Berkeley Succubus Dominatrix
>>

 No.615

>>607
I know it violates unix philosophy and its size is regrettable but to actually move people from systemd to an alternative, you have to show what is wrong with it without uttering "muh bloat" which does not matter to regular people whatsoever
>>

 No.616

>>614
b-based
>>

 No.617

>>614
the best part about it is that the freebsd logo is an actual demon, so there's precedent
>>

 No.618

>>615
Linux users will make their choices based on considerations such as "is this bloated or not". Windows and Mac users maybe won't. That's the main reason why some people avoid systemd: the Linux community encourages people to give a shit about what they put in their boxes.
>>

 No.619

>>618
"Linux users" are not some homogenous hivemind. Nonetheless, the most popular distros use systemd so those who use them obviously don't give a shit.
>>

 No.620

>>619
I never claimed that all Linux users agree on this, and you didn't read my post.
>>

 No.622

I don't know why people hate systemd but have no problem with xorg. It's even more bloated and insecure but most of these "minimalist" fags have no problem using it with their window manger.
>>

 No.623

>>622
I think there are a lot of people who can tell you that Xorg is shit but haven't migrated out. Xorg being shit is common knowledge but there just hasn't been enough push to replace it with something. (is wayland good for that? or do you have a different recommendation)
>>

 No.624

>>623
>(is wayland good for that? or do you have a different recommendation)
Wayland is usable now. Some applications have bugs but for the most part it works fine. It even works with video games. The only working implementations are Sway (which is a copy of i3) and Gnome. Sway works fine without systemd.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sway
.
>>

 No.628

>>622
I used wayland with kde a month or so ago, it was pretty buggy, had to return to xorg.
>>

 No.646

Linux newfag here. I've been meaning to switch over from Windows for a while and thanks to being laid off because of the epidemic I have plenty of free time to fuck around now. I'm thinking about running Mint Cinnamon in a VM to get a feel for it and then trying a dual boot. Hope this sounds like an alright approach; I read that Mint is a good starter distro for Windowsfags.
>>

 No.647

>>646
Oh absolutely.
In your first 'period' of switching just get comfy with the new set of free/open source tools at your disposal. There are a landslide of alternatives for your previous uses, but I'd recommend with sticking to GNOME/GTK vs KDE/Qt sets generally. One example is Gnome-MPV, a nice GNOME front-end for the very minimal MPV video player (the front-end gives the option for fast-forwarding videos, among other things).
Don't be afraid of using command-line interface (CLI) and searching the web for guides / tips & tricks; literally anything can be done via CLI and the web has an answer for any trouble you run into. Recommended CLI tools: ffmpeg (for converting let's say an .mp4 to a .webm), youtube-dl (lets you download video and audio files from many websites, not only youtube.com) and torsocks (routes your CLI-www traffic through tor for anonymization of your legally dubious traffic of getting free albums from YouTube(tm)…in a video game).

A practical example:
sudo apt get install torsocks youtube-dl ffmpeg
torsocks -i youtube-dl –extract-audio –audio-format mp3 https://youtu.be/p3G5IXn0K7A
>torsocks sends it via tor (make sure the URL has https)
>-i manually switches tor circuit
>youtube-dl –extract-audio –audio-format mp3, like you could've guessed, extracts the audio from the given video of which is often an .mp4, with the help of ffmpeg, and leaves you with an .mp3!
>>

 No.648

File: 1608525879915.mp4 (3.57 MB, 406x720, ah ha ha.mp4)

Same poster as >>400
I gave up on that distro (couldn't figure out the network interface), but I still want to use a good Linux distro to get away from Windows spyware.

I was considering installing Quebes OS since I want to have as much peace of mind as possible while using my PC.
Considering i'm totally new to linux and have no experience with the command line, is this a good choice?

If not, what is a quality distro for privacy-concerned anons like myself?

Thanks in advance!
>>

 No.651

>>648
QubesOS isn't a beginners distro, you'll need to learn GNU+Linux before installing it. Try Mint. For anonymity and privacy check out Tails, although it's on a live usb.
>>

 No.653

>>651
Gnyu pwuss winux uwu
>>

 No.654

>>

 No.655

File: 1608525880584.jpg (107.91 KB, 1280x720, satania.jpg)

Satan /GET/
>>

 No.656

>>655
That face
>>

 No.657

>>655
my heart goes out to you, satan
>>

 No.658

(Same anon as >>648 and >>400
I finally got Mint up and running after some trial and error!

I must say, although it's my first time using it, I feel this is was better than Windows (10) with all the hassle that posed when I first started using that some 4 years ago (no copy protection bullshit, for one).

Thanks for the motivation to take the leap, everyone!
>>

 No.692

I would have used NetBSD permanently on all my computers if they bothered to fix the damn bugs and get pkg-src binary packages working.
Or OpenBSD (which is even better) IF it had wine so i can use my glorious Notepad++.
>>

 No.695

>>692
BSD is a hobbyist OS. It's nowhere near as polished and as just works as Linux is. They also use a shitty license.
>>

 No.697

>>695
The BSD license is the "fuck me in the ass daddy i'm a little bitch" license, really.
>>

 No.758

>>

 No.779

antiX is the best distro out there. Easy to install, easy to use, lightweight, no systemd AND it's made by leftists, just look at the names for every release.
>>

 No.781

>>779
I mean, as long as it uses proprietary software it's always going to be chained down by porkies.
>>

 No.807

>>545
I use Parabola actually.
>>

 No.835

>>51
Am I wasting my hardware if I use linux on a gaming pc
>>

 No.843

>>835
You can always dual boot. About half my games work in Linux, reboot to Windows when I want to play something that doesn't work.
https://www.protondb.com/ to check compatibility
>>

 No.844

>>835
No, I have a gaming pc and play 90% of my games on Windows but spend about 75% of my time in Linux

Linux is now at the point where it is superior for everything except gaming, I only open windows to play vidya and use a few propietary programmes I need for work, I browse the internet watch video, play music, do work etc. in Linux
>>

 No.845

>>844
*60% of my games on Windows

Proton is amazing and a lot of stuff gets Native Linux ports now
>>

 No.847

>>622
Xorg is the shittiest display server, besides all others that have been tried.
>>

 No.848

>>655
ITODDLERS BTFO
>>

 No.855

>>843
>>844
i didn't mean like playing video games. I get that you can emulate stuff.
uh I mean can a linux os fully utilize all the power a gaming rig has? I feel linux is very lightweight and doesn't require much power so would a powerful rig be wasteful if linux is my main os?

Is linux incompatiable with any hardware or something like it can't use any proprietary features of said hardware?
going to be building a pc and don't want any of the expensive parts to go to waste because of my os choice.
>>

 No.867

>>855
Lmao
>>

 No.868

>>855
What the fuck do you mean?
Using more resources to do the same work,i.e. running the OS at idle is bad, this question is nearly incomprehensible

If all you plan to do is sit at the desktop then yes, building a powerful computer is slightly more wasteful in linux than it would be in windows, if you plan to actually do something that requires a powerful computer than linux is slightly superior as you have *slightly* more resources free after background processes are accounted for

If you mean is there a significant enough difference to make a change in purchasing decisions not really, check compatibility of parts but unless you've got some really niche hardware requirement mainstream Linux is more compatible than windows
>>

 No.869

>>868
>what do you mean
is powerful equipment wasted on linux.
That was all my post boiled down to.

most of the time I hear about linux is when people are using it on their old laptops.
I didn't want to buy hardware and then find out that it's full use can only be achieved on windows because of some proprietary bs
>>

 No.870

File: 1608525898843.jpeg (64.69 KB, 1200x630, 234r24df3f3.jpeg)

>>869
Not him, but;
I would argue that a negligible decline in performance is inconsequential to being spied on by Microsoft. The question itself is kind of malformed, man. Any computer utilizes "100%" of what it has available to it. There is no difference in the way a processor works, for example, between a machine that has linux on it and a machine that has windows on it. I don't really understand what you think it is that would cause a reduce in performance betwixt the two systems in the first place.
>>

 No.871

>>869
>is powerful equipment wasted on linux
Nah comrade You'll easily find something to fill up those spare processing cycles even if It's just running Windows in a virtual machine
>>

 No.881

File: 1608525899753.jpg (77.53 KB, 799x793, shutup,homo.jpg)

>>855
you're kinda onto something, there is some proprietary hardware that some distros might have trouble with
setting up void for a macbook is a pain, for example, and i still havent bothered to get all the hardware accounted for, like the motion sensor
>>

 No.882

>>881
if the idea of a computer that can sense your movements doesn't terrify you to your core, what difference does it make if you use OS X or Linux? no but seriously that shit scares me
>>

 No.884

File: 1608525899992.jpeg (20.68 KB, 480x360, jhbik.jpeg)

>>882
Check em'
>>

 No.889

>>870
>>871
>>881
*extremely matthew mcconaughey voice*
alright alright alright
>>

 No.921

>>54
Debian is one of if not *the* most secure distro, retard. They backport updates to stable package releases so even if you think the software is outdated, security-wise it's not.
>>

 No.924

File: 1608525903593.jpg (31.77 KB, 396x353, 1909714989d4b7935e30d0df94….jpg)

>>921
And yet Debian isn't FOSS.
Odd
>>

 No.933

>>924
Yes it is. In fact it's the only major distro that disables non-FOSS software, even drivers, from its repositories *by default*.
>>

 No.938

>>933
Why isn't it advertised on GNU.org then?
>>

 No.939

>>938
>Debian is the only common non-endorsed distribution to keep nonfree blobs out of its main distribution. However, the problem partly remains. The nonfree firmware files live in Debian's nonfree repository, which is referenced in the documentation on debian.org, and the installer in some cases recommends them for the peripherals on the machine.
it's not on the main rep
>>

 No.946

File: 1608525905637.jpg (29.58 KB, 500x500, d65969516f2bdb9d9674570194….jpg)

>>939
So, like I said, it's not FOSS.
>>

 No.951

>>946
It is, if you don't add the non-free repositories. The fact alone that Debian has optional non-free repos is what made Stallman's autism not endorse it.
>>

 No.1089

>>51
Used to use Linux, now I use various UNIX OSes on different devices (OpenIndiana on main PC, NetBSD on laptop, etc).
>>

 No.1173

I am tired of popular linux distros, what are some cools distros that few people know
>>

 No.1176

>>1173
QubesOS
Puppy Linux
Hanna Montana Linux
>>

 No.1378

unstable shit. Only reason to use if windows is not available
>>

 No.1396

>>869
If you buy AMD you essentially will get more out of your GPU than you would with windows. But not necessarily with Nvidia.
>>

 No.1414

>>1378
Nevermind, I tried some distros and stuff was wack.
Ubuntu is just as "jest werks trademarked" like windows but even more faster and my shit doesn't lag
Based Ubuntu
>>

 No.1417

>>1414
Ubuntu is p good as a whole, however GNOME is a bit resource-heavy. Something like Xubuntu or Kubuntu is better.
>>

 No.1418

>>1417
Didn't ubuntu install amazon spyware on its users at one point? lol
>>

 No.1419

>>1418
Yep. It hate canonical, so I just use Trisquel as it has a modified kernel with no proprietary software or spyware
>>

 No.1420

>>1418
if that is true
i will google muscle giantess futa midget naruto rule34 all day to own jeff bezos and also because i was going to do it anyway
>>

 No.1421

>>1420
t. Glownigger
>>

 No.1422

>>1417
Kind of baffling how GNOME can be resource-heavy when they've gutted it of damn near everything that ever represented a functional desktop environment.
>>

 No.1423

>>1422
How was it going to be different when they still use javascript components and 100 bloated libraries.
>>

 No.1427

>>1421
Suck my midget you dicknazi
>>

 No.1428

>>1423
>javascript
You mean Java?
>>

 No.1429

>>1428
No. Gnome shell is 45% javascript according to gitlab.
>>

 No.1430

>>1428
>>1429
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell

Correct. I wasn't sure, since after a recent version that was supposed to improve performance and reduce memory usage (i don't think it did much), there were some apologists who said that JS was removed and replaced with C. But no, in fact the worse thing about this 45% JS is that it's in a core part of the DE and even worse is that it handles important parts of the UI: animations, background, dialog boxes, dbus handling and a ton of others. So no wonder it runs like crap.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/tree/master/js/ui
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/tree/master/js
>>

 No.1431

>>1430
What in the actual fuck? So GNOME is a literal web browser masquerading as a desktop environment now? What is this absolute madness?
>>

 No.1432

>>1431
Don't you say? The tendency is to take over every program and turn it into a web app- Electron and ChromeOS which replace standalone programs with an embeded chromium just so that their JShit devs can use less time optimizing the prog (at your expense), while avoiding ""bad"" and ""unsafe"" languages like C.
Just take a look at https://www.balena.io/etcher/ . It replaces a command you copy-paste from archwiki to flash images with dd (a 75KB executable that uses a couple MB of RAM on its own and runs at full speed thanks to C) vs etcher which is an 180MB binary that eats over 300MB of ram in 5 seconds just to start. All that just for some eye-candy.

As for gnome, their devs are one of most obtuse idiots you'll come across. This is why they still haven't fixed a bug from 2004 even after they had 20 duplicate bug reports.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/233
>Closed in late 2019 (15 years later), just because those who want a feature, available even on Windows 95, are nagging on this issue.
>>

 No.1436

>>1431
no, gnome does not render html and doesn't run a browser engine like Electron.
>>

 No.1437

>>1431
JavaScript is a general purpose programming language, you can use as such. Gnome uses a javascript interpreter, but it does not have a render engine and other shit like that. It's not different from using python or lua.
>>

 No.1442

>>1429
>had the opportunity to make a lisp-based DE
>chose to use javascript instead
everyone at the GNOME foundation needs to be ritually executed
>>

 No.1443

I'm a total newbie to Linux, my Windows installation died and I'm now an old Ubuntu live CD, what I can install now? keep in mind I would like to use proprietary drivers and codecs… but I care about privacy too
>>

 No.1444

>>1443
>I'm now an old Ubuntu live CD
What version comrade?
>>

 No.1445

>>1442
> lisp-based DE
We have had WMs based on Emacs Lisp, Common Lisp and Scheme, and there is no place for Javascript.
>>

 No.1446

>>1444
Ubuntu 16! sadly it's plagued by Bezos but I was lucky enough to have it because I couldn't use my PC otherwise lol
>>

 No.1447

>>1446
Maybe use it to download a newer version and make a bootable USB thumbdrive?
Or even a windows ISO if you want to try and fix windows
>>

 No.1448

>>1446
Yeah the new version has that shit removed I heard, but, personally Ubuntu lost trust in my totally after that fiasco.
>>

 No.1449

>>1447
>>1448
thank you comrades, I happen to have a free USB stick so I should be able to install the newer version with that, that said, is there anyone/some group that actively checks the Ubuntu code to see if it has no malicious stuff?
>>

 No.1454

>>1449
idk why but the USB live doesn't boot…
>>

 No.1455

>>1454
Fug
I assume you've tried to boot without the CD in?

What order does your bios have your boot order as?
>>

 No.1456

>>1455
I sure did remove the CD but it doesn't boot on its own, I ended up booting manually and it worked, now my problems are with GNOME which I discovered I'm not too fond of (I find it too big), I am settling with this extension so the top of my screen doesn't look too clunky: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1160/dash-to-panel/

but for some reason ubuntu doesn't come with the gnome shell integration so I had to enable the universe repositories and then install the package chrome-gnome-shell, I don't get how such a thing can be overlooked when GNOME is the chosen DE and they put you stuff like sudoku and majong so it's not like they are trying to be minimal or anything.
>>

 No.1567

what is best distro for use on low end/old machines yet still practical for an idiot like myself?
>>

 No.1569

>>1567
antix and puppy
>>

 No.1572

>>1569
I've tried antix before, wouldn't suggest it. SliTaz or Void would be better.
>>

 No.1580

>>1572
Well, kinda. The installer sucks big time but at least you have debian repos and is noob friendly. It's impressing how few distros still target low-end hardware. Right now i have a P3 computer with an i810 GPU and nothing except gentoo and maybe slackware support it out of the box. Also i might add TinyCore and Alpine but those are still geared towards advanced users.
>>

 No.1595

windows 10 wsl 2 gang
>>

 No.1596

it took me a damn long while to wrangle Hyperbola GNU/Linux onto my laptop and I still haven't got pulseaudio to stop acting like a whiny little bitch, but otherwise I'm proud of how it's turned out. Hyperbola ticks all the anal-retentive nerd boxes:
>it's FSF-approved
>it's systemd-free
>it's Arch-based and therefore essentially bloatless
>>

 No.1608

>>1596
>>1596
>it's Arch-based and therefore essentially bloatless
lol no. Arch packages come with all options enabled, so they are as big as they can be. Arch is the epitome of bloat.
>>

 No.6172

>>108
Get off your high horse faggot literally no one cares what kinda hentai you watch.
>>

 No.6173

>>845
Be careful, proton is run by an evil company, people may not like how it isn’t made by a bunch of nerds working on their own.
>>

 No.6176

>>6173
Proton is and you need to install spyware to run it but this isn't the case with Wine, which Valve contributes to.
>>

 No.6178

>>6176
What is “spyware” to you guys? Quite literally any program owned by a Corp is accused of being spyware? What specific information does it actually send back to valve? Why the fuck would valve want to know your system config or some shit.
>>

 No.6179

>>6178
Not that anon but,
Steam can ask to scan you system to better recommend games to buy. Not sure what exactly they're scanning and what exactly the data is used for
>>

 No.6180

>>6179
Well that would make us “unsafe” even if you used wine would it not?
>>

 No.6181

>>6178
FSF (generally) defines spyware/malware as sections of code that can be rewritten by the corporation who authored it WITHOUT the users consent. It's pernicious because everything down to the firmware in your CPU (intel trust management) is basically corporate malware. Yes in 99% of cases this feature won't be used against you, but the more overarching point is that you are paying for a product that keeps you on a leash for a little bit more convenience (and that convenience can be toppled if more people switch to open hardware and software paradigms). GNU is literally anti SV at its heart it just requires more adoption and for people to realize just running Ubuntu isn't enough, replace your Intel chip with open source ARM chips (currently Rockchip or Allwinner both used by Pine products) remove all proprietary firmware for wifi and gpus (usb dongle or check out the newest panfrost acceleration which is an open source project for Mali GPUS).

Unless you are really into all this its hard to replace all your computers with fully free software (I mean Libreboot supports atm like ~20 devices most a decade old), but its a goal you can work towards even replacing 90% of your computing to be using free devices is a huge boost.
>>

 No.6182

>>51
I use Tails myself. My pc doesn't even have a local drive, just a psu, motherboard, ram and cpu
>>

 No.6192

>>6178
You really are making this post about Steam huh
https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/steam.html
>>

 No.6197

>>6178
>Why the fuck would valve want to know your system config or some shit.
LMAO do you even know what datamining is and how it works?
>>

 No.6199

>>6192
Like literally any service in which you pay for shit is gonna know that stuff.
>>

 No.6591

Thought I would revive the Linux thread. What is some (somewhat) basic shit I should do with my Xubuntu install?
>>

 No.6594

>>6591
install and run guix on top of it
>>

 No.6595

>>6594
so that's like a package manager? Whats the benefit of that over APT and ubuntu repositories?
>>

 No.6598

>>6595
you are forced to live with libre software without compromise (unless you pull in custom SCM files).

Also you will have access to bleeding edge versions of almost everything without contaminating your environment or causing too much headache.
>>

 No.6600

>>835
Game devs make poor optimization decisions all the time, and nvidia has a profit opportunity to fix those optimization problems themselves and then bundle those fixes into their drivers, so that games run 10% better on their video cards compared to AMD. They call it 'game ready drivers' I believe. These fixes don't propagate over to the nvidia linux drivers. Therefore, you'll get a small decrease in performance while playing video games with an nvidia video card when compared to playing on windows with nvidia's fixes. This isn't related to the hardware or linux and is specific to video games, so other stuff like video editing or 3D modelling should be able to use 100% of the power of an nvidia graphics card.

I'm not entirely sure what the story with AMD is, but I've heard they're a little more friendly to the linux community.
>>

 No.6601

>>6598
So this is connected to Debian repositories? Do those programs work on Xubuntu aswell?
>>

 No.6602

>>6595
The benefit is your project is controlled by virtue signaling liberal social climbers who may become wreckers or themselves be wrecked at a moment's notice.
>>

 No.6604

>>6602
I don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.
>>

 No.6605

>>

 No.6612

>>6605
your faggot tears fuel our creativity retard
>>

 No.6614

>>6612
Yeah, creative ways to fuck up free software projects with virtue signaling bullshit and an atmosphere of canceling.
>>

 No.6667

>>6595
if you don't know the answer then it's not for you. stick to APT.
>>

 No.6676

>>624
In my experience wayfire works just as well as Sway.
>>

 No.6679

>>6614
nobody misses him outside of your reactionary circle and he will decay into nothing but a footnote in history
>>

 No.6680

>>6679
>reactionary circle
Guarantee you don't know the first thing about Stallman or what happened to him.
>>

 No.6681

>>6680
I don't have to know what happened to him during that peculiar time frame. Karma is a bitch and that retard has been detached from reality for well over two decades with stupid takes on non-technological matters.

There's a limit on how much benefit of doubt people can spare before dropping someone out of line. FOSS will outlive boomers no matter how much they seethe over change of culture
>>

 No.6682

downsides of free software #2: you actually tend to know something about the person who made it. notepad was made by the faceless microsoft corporation of banal evilness, but if you go for a free software replacement you'll always realize the best one was made by Gregg in Minnesota, who writes anti-communist blog posts for fun, or someone equally insufferable, while the less good ones are (obviously) less good. you're forced into a sort of tedious recognition that your notepad-y goodness is contingent on the actions of a specifically named dickhead, while microsoft's banal corporate evil is much easier to ignore.
(This really goes well with Sayre's law. )

>>6679
dangerous and down right stupid
>>

 No.6683

>>6681
>FOSS will outlive boomers no matter how much they seethe over change of culture
It's going to be difficult if free software advocates don't even use free software, such as Stallman's successor. Don't paint a very hopeful image for free software. Even worse when projects get torpedoed by wreckers obsessed with virtual signaling over writing and maintaining their software.
>>

 No.6684

>>6682
>>6683
do tell me more. did redhat or literally anyone drop gcc or glibc? did any project reject commit or patch over wrongthink? no? How curious. It is almost as if developers and users of free software did not need irrelevant old creeps to tell them what to do, eh?
>>

 No.6685

File: 1611952474846.jpeg (40.65 KB, 362x448, screenshot.jpeg)

>>6682
Was Stallman was politically persecuted ?
If America is closing down, will China reform and open source up ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBzBjov-yX8
Will the primary stage of a moderately open source be followed up by FOSS in 2050 ?
>>

 No.6686

>>6685
meant for>>6683
>>

 No.6698

>>6685
it was definitely a hitjob. Stallman is an autist, said some shit about his friend who was epstein adjacent and they tried to paint him as a pedo apologist.
>>

 No.6706

>>6698
Comments which Stallman was entirely right about, by the way. Sexual assault is an overly vague term that charges accusations before evidence is known. Furthermore, Marvin Minsky has since been exonerated.
>>

 No.6709

>>6706
I've ranted about this before.
I thought one of my comrades was a fucking rapist for 2 years. TWO YEARS. Because he allegedly did violence to his ex-fuck buddy.

I just found out, like 3 days ago that the violence was expressing sadness that the fuck buddy didn't want to fuck anymore.

… seriously. this shit is poisonous as fuck. Now whenever I hear that a girl experienced violence I'll have no choice but to ask for a lot of detail and approach it with skepticism. Which is entirely terrible for people who do actually experience violence.

Minimizing violence and sexual assault as well as exaggerating it is pretty poisonous. Fuck!
>>

 No.6714

File: 1612115949771.png (215.61 KB, 642x608, smug_asf.png)

geys this is Linux thread not GNU/Linux thread. can we talk about topics beyond cult of personality pretty please
>>

 No.6716

>>6714
Linux is just a kernel.
>>

 No.6722

File: 1612126712559.jpg (233.04 KB, 541x480, I_discovered_avatarfagging.jpg)

>>6716
then talk about your latest snowflake .config and how you managed to shrink vmlinuz size by few MB and made systemd's login prompt appear few nanoseconds faster
>>

 No.6725

>>6706
All the accusations were intentionally vague and unproveable, some accusations were also heavily misconstrued - the 'RMS is a knight for hot women' was literally written on his office door by some retard undergrad and he promptly erased it afterwards - the reality is that FSF has been far more welcoming to women, lgbt and POC members since like the 90s (which is confirmed by literally any FSF member and enumerable blogs going way back) when SV was still openly chauvinistic. This was all a targeted brand attack - using one of their morally bankrupt SWEs as a pawn.
>>

 No.6726

>>6725
the idea that RMS and FSF 'push women out of tech' is literally the most laughable thing in existence. Half the kernel drivers for key components like xHCI are written by women who didn't need to go through some arbitrary interview process, instead just write good code - and get it past Torvalds - SV and for profit software keep everyone out of tech both through their hiring process and creating a walled-garden where only the programmer elite can interface with software in a meaningful way.

I know its been 2 years since this went down but i am still so salty about it.
>>

 No.6734

File: 1612135513886-0.png (32.49 KB, 742x183, bold_take.png)

File: 1612135513886-1.png (115.68 KB, 757x423, caveman.png)

File: 1612135513886-2.png (16.96 KB, 355x207, PLEASURE_CARD.png)

>>6726
Pure revisionism. I can also make anecdotal comment that women had to pretend like guys (quite literally. no girls on internet amirite?) just to fit in and get taken seriously with patches or larger pull request.

If RMS made these comments in (((private))) cloud talk, and somebody accused him over out of context voice recording or smear campaign it would be media hit job for sure. BUT NO our special fart cushion really had to voice out his logical purity with his name attached because he dares to point out bullshit at all cost and most importantly, because he can in his position
>>

 No.6735

File: 1612135830377.jpg (46.42 KB, 524x573, email1.jpg)

>>

 No.6736

>>6734
> a blog post about the laws surrounding pedophilia and necrophilia
lets cancel Foucault and Deleuze while were at it
he apologized later the actual push women out of tech shit was just retarded she said shit on a blogpost written by a SWE at salesforce
theres also his and the FSFs legacy to consider versus some random SWE at salesforce
also your post glows in the dark

> tender embraces is inappropriate

what part of severely autistic and afraid of water do you not understand
>>

 No.6737

>>6735
This makes me more sympathetic to Stallman. Was that your intent?
>>

 No.6738

>>6736
oh I'm sorry what large scale collaborative civil movement did french schizophrenics spearhead to combat privatization of essential commodity?

Someday when you parent a child, you might understand that there's certain age cap where esoteric flitting attempt stops being cute

>>6737
lesson I learned while wasting my time on this topic again after two years seem to be that I have certain guilt and trauma involving masculine culture to the point where I have to overcompensate by cancelling of irrelevant figure.

I'll fuck off no worries
>>

 No.6739

File: 1612136829149.jpeg (61.62 KB, 640x480, children.jpeg)

>>6734
> irrelevant figure
> large scale figure to combat privatization
youre full of shit, also pic related
>>

 No.6740

>>6739
wrong post, im not sure if im making my ire known, but seriously fuck you and your authoritarian bullshit spearheaded by a nebulous appeal to a child's innocence.
>>6738
>>

 No.6741

>>6739
by irrelevance I'm implying he's not the atlas maintaining GNU/Linux ecosystem contrary to your victimization complex. redhat's gcc/glibc/systemd team and linux foundation is. along with countless other projects under umbrella of GNU license who never gave two cents of fuck about RMS.
>>

 No.6742

File: 1612141006712.png (87.95 KB, 286x319, Zoidberg.png)

>>6741
>Poetteringware is maintaining the GNU/Linux ecosystem
Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Unique IPs: 12

[Return][Go to top] [Catalog] | [Home][Post a Reply]
Delete Post [ ]
[ overboard / sfw / alt / cytube] [ leftypol / b / WRK / hobby / tech / edu / ent / 777 / posad / i / R9K / dead ] [ meta ]